Buttery Coconut Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3 large Eggland's Best eggs
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with parchment paper, letting ends extend up sides.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, brown sugar and salt; stir in 1 cup melted butter. Press onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake until light brown, 12-15 minutes. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 325°.
- In a large bowl, whisk the first seven filling ingredients until blended; stir in 3 cups coconut. Pour over crust; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Bake until light golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Lifting with parchment paper, remove from pan. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 211 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 166mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 11, 2019
Can I add more stars?? Quick and easy. Great coconut flavor and texture and not too sweet. I 'almost' overbaked the base, so next time I'll be a bit more diligent with paying attention to the timer. Good idea to line the pan with parchment paper. Once the entire bar has cooled, it's easy to lift out the whole slab by the parchment paper and cut it into pieces for serving. Freezes well.
Jan 21, 2019
Great coconut flavor! Nice taste and texture on the crust too.
Dec 14, 2018
These are fantastic! I love them. I can tell I will be making these again soon. They were a big hit!
Dec 14, 2018
This is fantastic! I made them for an event and it went as fast as I put it down. I'm not a big coconut fan but this really was amazing. Plus my son is part Filipino and what a nice way to introduce a modern take on bibingka.
Dec 3, 2018
Veey good but very sweet. I am baking them in December so I chopped up and added some fresh cranberrries. The tartness counterbalances the sweet so nicely.
Sep 6, 2017
I made these July 12th and my family loved them. My older son is particularly fond of coconut, and these bars didn't disappoint. The bars had a flavorful moist filling, with a great tasting crust. This recipe is a keeper!
Jun 21, 2017
I came across this recipe when looking for something to make with a can of sweetened condensed milk. I expected them to be super sweet, but was pleasantly surprised to find out they were anything but! A rich, creamy, buttery flavor balance out the sweet and make these bars a must make again!
Dec 17, 2016
Made these today to share with friends but after my husband tasted he asked me not to give these away!
Dec 12, 2016
Oh how I loved these! I love coconut desserts and this one did not disappoint! I love anything that has sweetened condensed milk in it! I did a test run with it and will be taking it to my moms for Christmas this year!
Nov 4, 2016
I love coconut. This recipe gets one big YUM from me!