Buttery Coconut Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with parchment, letting ends extend up sides.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, brown sugar and salt; stir in 1 cup melted butter. Press onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake until light brown, 12-15 minutes. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 325°.
- In a large bowl, whisk the first 7 filling ingredients until blended; stir in 3 cups coconut. Pour over crust; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Bake until light golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Lifting with parchment, remove from pan. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 211 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 166mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 16, 2019
Oh my! I just tried this recipe for an event and it was delicious!! I was a little concerned about the quantity of butter on the crust but went right ahead. The bars were wonderful!!! I didn’t feel like messing with the parchment so I just buttered my pan. They cut easily and came right out. Thanks for a great recipe. This one is a keeper for sure??
Jul 26, 2019
absolutely delicious!!! everyone that tasted it couldn’t believe i had made it and asked for more, i’ve done this exact recipe twice now and it’s just as good! it’s important to let it cool down! i personally find they’re best the day after! if you love coconut, i strongly recommend this recipe!!!
Jul 16, 2019
I'm really surprised to see some recent bad reviews. These turned out perfectly. The base wasn't doughy, but crispy on the bottom and just the right richness. The coconut filling set up perfectly and was soft and not chewy. You definitely have to be a coconut fan, but they were a huge hit at my event!
Jul 8, 2019
They are terrible! A huge waste of time and ingredients. One cup of butter in the crust was too much and baked to a doughy mess. The filling is extremely rich. We couldn't eat them and I had to throw them out.
Jun 14, 2019
They're okay. Extremely rich. I think less butter and less coconut would improve them. But that's just me.
Mar 11, 2019
Can I add more stars?? Quick and easy. Great coconut flavor and texture and not too sweet. I 'almost' overbaked the base, so next time I'll be a bit more diligent with paying attention to the timer. Good idea to line the pan with parchment paper. Once the entire bar has cooled, it's easy to lift out the whole slab by the parchment paper and cut it into pieces for serving. Freezes well.
Jan 21, 2019
Great coconut flavor! Nice taste and texture on the crust too.
Dec 14, 2018
These are fantastic! I love them. I can tell I will be making these again soon. They were a big hit!
Dec 14, 2018
This is fantastic! I made them for an event and it went as fast as I put it down. I'm not a big coconut fan but this really was amazing. Plus my son is part Filipino and what a nice way to introduce a modern take on bibingka.
Dec 3, 2018
Veey good but very sweet. I am baking them in December so I chopped up and added some fresh cranberrries. The tartness counterbalances the sweet so nicely.