Brown Butter Spice Cookies
If you like spice cake, you’ll love this recipe! Browned butter, dark chocolate and a splash of rum produce an unconventional spice cookie that’s guaranteed to please. —Kristin Kenney, Newport Beach, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon spiced rum
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Place butter in a small heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat until golden brown, 5-7 minutes; cool slightly.
- Beat brown sugar and browned butter in a large bowl until blended. Beat in egg, then rum. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, ginger and nutmeg; gradually add to brown sugar mixture and mix well. Stir in chips. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° until bottoms are lightly browned, 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
To Make Ahead: Dough can be made 2 days in advance. Baked cookies can be stored for 1 week in an airtight container at room temperature or frozen for up to 1 month.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 111 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 54mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Brown Butter Spice Cookies in Simple & Delicious October/November 2012