Brown Butter Spice Cookies
If you like spice cake, you’ll love this recipe! Browned butter, dark chocolate and a splash of rum produce an unconventional spice cookie that’s guaranteed to please. —Kristin Kenney, Newport Beach, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon spiced rum
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Place butter in a small heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat until golden brown, 5-7 minutes; cool slightly.
- Beat brown sugar and browned butter in a large bowl until blended. Beat in egg, then rum. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, ginger and nutmeg; gradually add to brown sugar mixture and mix well. Stir in chips. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° until bottoms are lightly browned, 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
To Make Ahead: Dough can be made 2 days in advance. Baked cookies can be stored for 1 week in an airtight container at room temperature or frozen for up to 1 month.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 111 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 54mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Brown Butter Spice Cookies in Simple & Delicious October/November 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.