Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour + chilling
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped, divided
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add vanilla and cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff and glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Spread in a well-greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 300° for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in the top of a double boiler, whisk egg yolks until lemon-colored. Add the lemon juice, zest and remaining sugar. Cook over hot but not boiling water, stirring occasionally, until thickened and a thermometer reads 160°. Cool to room temperature.
- Spread half of whipped cream over meringue shell; cover with lemon mixture. Top with remaining whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate. Best made one day before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 195 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 27mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 28, 2012
Excellent lemon flavor and easy to make. Would reccomend to anyone. One variation I tried to give it some flavor and color variation was to add rasberry sauce to the filling. Rasberry and lemon go very well together. Another variation is to make a chocolate merange
Feb 11, 2010
Recipe-Bot, Thanks for this recipe,sure sounds good, Wattle.
Feb 11, 2010
LOVE LEMON RECIPES. LIGHT TASTE