- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream, whipped, divided
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff and glossy. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar. Add vanilla. Spread in a well-greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 300° for 1 hour. Remove to a draft-free spot to cool. Meanwhile, in the top of a double boiler, beat egg yolks until lemon-colored. Add remaining sugar, lemon juice and peel. Cook over hot but not boiling water, stirring occasionally, until thick. Cool thoroughly. Spread half the whipped cream over meringue shell; cover with custard. Spread remaining whipped cream on top. Cover and refrigerate. Torte is best made a day ahead. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forLemon Torte
"Recipe-Bot, Thanks for this recipe,sure sounds good, Wattle."
"LOVE LEMON RECIPES. LIGHT TASTE"