- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound medium pasta shells, cooked and drained
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 jar (24 ounces) pasta sauce
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Sprinkle with salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta, 3 cups mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese, parsley and remaining pepper. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Top with beef mixture and spaghetti sauce (dish will be full).
Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Freeze option: Sprinkle casserole with remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forLasagna Casserole
"I loved this, I actually dumped everything into a large bowl and then poured it into the casserole dish. It does make a lot so when I make it again I will divide it into 3 and freeze 2."
"I used the mini lasagna noodles from Bulk Barn...OMG.... second time around was better than the first ! Hoping the third time is better than the second which was better than the first LOL This recipe is a keeper !"
"Very tasty. I used ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese. Makes a lot. Might cut recipe in half next time."
"love this recipe, made it twice now . I make two casseroles with this recipe, one 8X11 for us and one 8X8 for my sons house. I use one pound hamburger and one pound ground italian sausage, plus I also add one can of italian stewed tomatoes. As far as the cheese, we use what the recipe calls for plus add a little asiago since we always have that on hand. I also used brown rice spiral noodles since we have diabetics in our family and it is just as wonderful, if not better than standard noodles."
"Do not make with fat free. cottage cheese. It was an accident but yuck. Would try again with the right cheese or ricotta."
"This was great! I love using the shells!I divided it up into a few mini loaf pans to freeze as well as cooking a large loaf pan. The frozen ones were easy-I just took one out of the freezer the night before, then cooked according to the original directions."
"Not bad but not great. A 3 quart dish is way too small, ran over in the oven. Not enough sauce. Not sure I will make it again."
"I doubled the (extra lean) ground beef--we loved it and gave the recipe to relatives who loved it."