Kansas City-Style Ribs
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Grill: 1 hour 25 min.
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons each garlic powder, onion powder and smoked paprika
- 1-1/4 teaspoons each ground cumin, coarsely ground pepper and cayenne pepper
- 12 bone-in country-style pork ribs (about 7 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and seasonings; sprinkle over ribs. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour.
- For sauce, in a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 5-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Wrap ribs in a large piece of heavy-duty foil; seal edges of foil. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours or until ribs are tender.
- Carefully remove ribs from foil. Place ribs over direct medium heat; baste with some of the sauce. Grill, covered, 8-10 minutes or until browned, turning and basting occasionally with remaining sauce.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 rib: 453 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 452mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Oct 20, 2019
I really like this recipe a little sweet but mine were very moist and great flavor. I would prefer that the ingredients be listed separate not grouped as the 2 table spoons of garland then
Mar 31, 2019
Really good rib recipe. The ribs were not as tender if I had precooked before adding to the grill. I will make these ribs again.
Jun 29, 2018
Not at all crazy about these and will not be making again. I followed the recipe except I used smaller boneless ribs, so they ended up being dried out, but that was my fault, not the recipe. They just did not have the good flavor I was hoping for.
May 26, 2018
Lots of negative comments on this recipe, nothing positive. Way to go people. I'm sure each of you believes your BBQ ribs are better than the next persons. That's a bunch of cooking ego maniacs for ya. Rather than offering some useful advice it's better to put it down then let out the "family secret sauce."
May 24, 2018
No KC ribs here.I like country style "ribs". But they are not KC ribs. And the sauce looks great but it's not even close.The world thinks KC Masterpiece sauce is "KC style". NOT. NOT EVEN. Come to KC, we'll take a que tour.
May 23, 2018
Recipe sounds good, but nothing Kansas City style about them. First off, country style ribs are never considered ribs in KC. Generally, St Louis style are used and done do baby back. Never cooked in foil either. Always slow smoked and not sauced until serving. Sorry, but I’m originally from KC and don’t want people thinking this is what they’d get there. Otherwise, these do sound good.
Jul 18, 2017
Excellent recipe and very easy to follow. Delicious!
Jul 16, 2017
The flavor on these is great! I followed the recipe with the exception of the paprika. I didn't have smoked so I used regular. I will make these again but next time I will cook even longer so they are more tender.
May 17, 2015
Grilled these according to instructions, but used boneless ribs instead. The sauce was excellent, and they were easier to make than I thought they would be. Mine turned out kind of dry, but I might have cooked them too long. Since they were boneless, they probably only needed to cook for about an hour, and I cooked mine for 1.5 hours.
Jan 18, 2015
These were delish, cooked in slow cooker!