- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (11-1/4 ounces) frozen garlic Texas toast
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with green pepper, onion and garlic over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; drain. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until wine is reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until mixture is thickened, 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place Texas toast on a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. pan; bake until lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Spoon beef mixture onto toasts; top with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, 3-4 minutes. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forItalian Joes on Texas Toast
"These were just okay. Probably won't make again."
"Pretty good! Needs a little more seasoning, but a good dish overall."
"I loved this new take on sloppy Joes and the family thought this was fun too. Will definitely make again."
"Great little bite to have with salad or use for appetizers!"
"Really liked the ease of this recipe. I did add a smidge of Italian seasoning to give a little more flavor. Add a salad with this and your family will love it."