This is great for a weeknight on the go. If you double the crushed tomatoes, meat and wine, you'll have enough sauce to freeze. —Ashley Armstrong, Kingsland Georgia
Recommended: The 99 Most American Recipes Ever
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (11-1/4 ounces) frozen garlic Texas toast
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with green pepper, onion and garlic over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; drain. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until wine is reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until mixture is thickened, 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place Texas toast on a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. pan; bake until lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Spoon beef mixture onto toasts; top with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, 3-4 minutes. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Italian Joes on Texas Toast in Simple & Delicious August/September 2017