Instant Stuffing Mix
"I assemble this mix when I want to save bread that's starting to get stale," comments Darlene Brenden from her home in Salem, Oregon. "This nicely seasoned stuffing is great with any type of poultry and costs a fraction of the store-bought version."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes2-4 servings per batch
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon dried celery flakes
- 3 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 10-1/2 cups dried bread cubes (about 24 slices) or unseasoned croutons
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a small resealable plastic bag, combine the first six ingredients; mix well. Place the bread cubes in a large resealable plastic bag; add the small seasoning bag. Store in a cool, dry place for up to 1 year. Yield: 3 batches.
- To prepare stuffing: In a large saucepan, combine water, butter and 1/3 cup seasoning mix. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add 3-1/2 cups bread cubes; stir just to moisten. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 188 calories, 7g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 427mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Nov 9, 2015
Thank you so much for this. What a great idea! I want to make some to send as gifts to my children. I love that this makes a stuffing mix that is made with more natural ingredients.