Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 4 cups seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1-1/2 cups crushed cornbread stuffing
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted chestnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-3/4 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 package (5 ounces) sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the stuffing cubes, cornbread stuffing, chestnuts, parsley, sage, salt and pepper.
- In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion, apple and celery in butter until tender. Stir into stuffing mixture. Add enough broth to reach desired moistness. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours, stirring once.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 267 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 796mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 3, 2019
I did not like it.
Oct 28, 2018
I make this only I add some Uncle Ben's Original Wild Rice (cooked), do not add the pecans, or apple , 1/2 to l lb of ground sausage (cooked) and I use only Pepperidge Farm cornbread stuffing ...My son says it's the best ever....
Jan 8, 2018
I baked it in the oven instead of the slow cooker. It was ok, but it didn't blow my mind. My family doesn't really care for stuffing, but my boyfriend loves it, so I guess my search for the most amazing stuffing recipe continues.
Dec 17, 2016
Excellent recipe! It did not, however, contain "everything!" After tossing in a hand full of dried cranberries, I decided it had "everything." Easy recipe, remarkably delicious, and our new favorite. Because of the pre-seasoned stuffing cubes, I omitted the salt and used a low-sodium chicken broth. It was not too salty with those changes.
Nov 11, 2016
AbuelaMary you can make this in the oven in a casserole dish. Cook for about 1 hour at 350. I haven't made this yet but I am a cook so give it a try
Dec 25, 2015
I made this recipe for Thanksgiving. It was really great. I did used regular mushrooms. Received several compliments. Will make again.
Dec 2, 2015
I used this recipe as a guide to make my own stuffing in the crockpot. It came out perfect and was delicious. One tip, place a single dry paper towel over the top of the crock, do not let it touch the food or fall in, then place the lid on top of the paper towel essentially locking it to the rim. The steam will rise to the lid and fall on the towel instead of back into the stuffing so it doesn't get too mushy. Toss the paper towel when it's done.
Nov 29, 2015
My family enjoyed it but I thought that it was way too salty. Most of those at the table with me didn't see it that way, though, probably because they like salt and I seldom add it to anything I eat, including eggs.
Nov 22, 2015
How can you make this receipe if you don't have a "slow cooker"? Sounds delicious but I don't want to have to go out and buy a slow cooker I can't rate it yet as I haven't made it yet. Answer appreciated. Thank You
Nov 17, 2015
I make this stuffing several times throughout the year not just for holidays. My family loves it. I never tried it with chestnut but I have to toast extra pecans because my kids tend to grab them as they are walking by. Maybe cornbread stuffing is only sold in the north east since people never heard of it. Even Stove Top sells a corn bread version. Look in that section. Thank you for sharing this recipe.