Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional melted butter
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the milk, butter, sugar, egg, salt, yeast mixture and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each into a 12-in. circle; cut each into 12 wedges. Roll up wedges from the wide ends. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets, point side down. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately brush with additional melted butter. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 206 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 3, 2019
Oh my God! (and I say this with a mouth full of delicious rolls) Absolutely delicious, soft and fluffy... Di-vine! I only made half the quantity but won't be making that mistake again! Bring on the elastic waist trousers, I am in love!
Nov 12, 2018
Loved the ease and texture, but they needed more salt. With 6 cups of flour, 1 tsp of salt isn't enough.
Nov 2, 2018
These are absolutely the best ever. After some said they were too large I divided the dough into thirds and they came out a nice medium size which I liked better. Other than that they are grand as is. Thanks for this recipe, it's a keeper.
Apr 26, 2018
This is the best butterhorn recipe I have made to date. They turned out with a light and delicate texture, not dense at all.
Jun 25, 2017
I have fond memories of fixing these for a family get-together. These are so good slathered with butter while they're still warm from the oven.
Apr 18, 2017
Great recipe! The dough is very easy to work with. Everyone loves them!
Jul 16, 2016
These are by far the best rolls I've EVER made. I am making them again as I type :-)
Apr 10, 2016
Has anyone ever made these with a cream filling? Years ago, I had some in a town in Michigan where the huge Christmas store is that had a cream cheese filling. They were wonderful.
Jan 13, 2016
I made these for Thanksgiving and they were awesome! My 16-yr old son loved them. So good, you have to try them. Mine turned out huge too, so I will try to cut them smaller next time. I love making rolls from scratch and have a Cheddar Cheese biscuit I love, but these are now my new favorite. You can eat them plain too, just like they are. You don't need jelly or honey to make them better.
Dec 24, 2015
Easy and delicious! Mine turned out huge. More than doubled in refrigerator at about 1 1/2 hours.