Black Forest Icebox Cookies
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min. + cooling
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen pitted tart cherries (thawed), coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup cherry juice blend
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 to 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon cherry brandy
- 1 package (9 ounces) chocolate wafers
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a small saucepan, combine the granulated sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add the cherries, juice blend and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in food coloring if desired. Cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, combine the mascarpone cheese, confectioners' sugar and brandy. Spread about 1 teaspoon cheese mixture onto 20 wafers; top with 2 teaspoons cherry mixture and remaining wafers. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking pan.
- Place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chips; whisk until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Refrigerate, covered, for up to 4 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 139 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Dec 7, 2013
The flavor of these cookies was very good but here's a pointer. Buy TWO boxes of the wafers. When you are spreading the cheese the wafers are delicate and break very easily (insert curse words here :-). I ended up not having enough left in the box to put on tops--had to run to the store at 11pm! They also soften up tremedously. When you first make them they are crisp and actually messy to eat. I left them in the fridge overnight and they are really great tasting this morning but may be too soft by this evening. Also, I left out the brandy--didn't want to spend $20 a bottle for just 1 teaspoon.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.