Lemon Thyme Icebox Cookies
I found this recipe at my grandmother's house, and I made them as soon as I got home. It's a very unique cookie that's almost savory because of the thyme, which pairs well with the lemon. It's a lovely melt-in-your-mouth butter cookie. —Catherine Adams, Westwego, Louisiana
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 to 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cream butter, sugar, thyme and lemon peel until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Roughly shape dough into a 12-in. roll along the edge of a 12x12-in. sheet of waxed paper. Tightly roll waxed paper over dough, using the waxed paper to mold the dough into a smooth roll. Securely wrap roll in plastic; refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/2-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until edges begin to brown, 12-15 minutes. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 65 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 61mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Lemon Thyme Icebox Cookies in Ultimate Cookie Swap Bookazine 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.