Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing Bake: 10 min.
Makesabout 7 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- In a bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture. Stir in nuts if desire.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into three 10-in. x 1-in. rolls. Tightly wrap each roll in waxed paper. Freeze for at least 12 hours.
- Cut into 3/8-in. slices and place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 62 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 69mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 28, 2018
Flavor is fine, but if you follow the recipe re cooking time you might as well just eat the cookie dough raw. Maybe Grandpa didn't have any teeth.
Sep 12, 2015
We loved it but changed vanilla from half tsp to 1 cup because we are alcoholics
Apr 3, 2012
We enjoyed these cookies, but added 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to add to the flavor