Striped Icebox Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries, drained
- 2 drops red food coloring
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 4 teaspoons nonpareils
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide into thirds. Add cherries and food coloring to one portion, chocolate to another portion and nonpareils to remaining portion.
- Line a 9x5-in. loaf pan with waxed paper. Spread cherry dough over bottom. Cover with chocolate dough, then remaining dough. Refrigerate, covered, until firm, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Remove dough from pan; cut in half lengthwise. Cut each portion into 1/4-in. slices. For easier handling, freeze until firm, 10-15 minutes. Bake 1 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets until edges begin to brown, 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 74 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 46mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0g fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 16, 2017
followed the recipe exactly. the cookies look like then melted, covering the entire cookie sheet. No way to save. I am experienced baker and was making various cookies for Xmas party. This recipe was a waste of time and money spent on ingredients.
Jan 15, 2017
I agree that they were a bit bland, I will try adding vanilla next time. They do spread, but my family really enjoyed them. I cut the blocks again, making each cookie smaller, which worked out better for me. I found that they are even better, slightly over cooked and crispy (although the white layer will brown).
Jan 14, 2017
easy to make, and the raw dough looked perfect, but when I baked them, they got huge and bleached out. they were also bland. very disappointed. I have an oven thermometer, and am an experienced baker. won't be making again.
Dec 8, 2008
These were very easy to make, but just a little bland, I will try a tsp of vanilla next time.