Ribbon Icebox Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons red candied cherries, chopped
- 1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Line a 5-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pan with waxed paper; set aside. In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into thirds. Add cherries to one portion; spread evenly into prepared pan. Add melted chocolate to second portion; spread evenly over first layer. Add poppy seeds to third portion; spread over second layer. Cover with waxed paper; refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 109 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 48mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Dec 16, 2010
I had a little trouble with two layers being crumbly and hard to slice, ending up with only 15 cookies. I subbed pistachios for the poppy seeds and made it spumoni cookies, and used butter flavored shortening, although next time I will use real butter. The grown ups liked these alot, but I only give it 3 stars since my kids didn't like them at all. I do think I will make them again and tweek around with the egg amounts to get it moist enough.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.