Ribbon Icebox Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons red candied cherries, chopped
- 1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Line a 5-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pan with waxed paper; set aside. In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into thirds. Add cherries to one portion; spread evenly into prepared pan. Add melted chocolate to second portion; spread evenly over first layer. Add poppy seeds to third portion; spread over second layer. Cover with waxed paper; refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 109 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 48mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Dec 16, 2010
I had a little trouble with two layers being crumbly and hard to slice, ending up with only 15 cookies. I subbed pistachios for the poppy seeds and made it spumoni cookies, and used butter flavored shortening, although next time I will use real butter. The grown ups liked these alot, but I only give it 3 stars since my kids didn't like them at all. I do think I will make them again and tweek around with the egg amounts to get it moist enough.