- 4 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 pound lean beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups hot water
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Place potatoes and onions in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Place over potato mixture.
- Pour off excess fat from skillet. Add hot water to the drippings, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in the paprika, salt, caraway seeds, tomato paste and garlic. Pour into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
- Add green peppers and tomatoes; cover and cook 1 hour longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. With a slotted spoon, transfer meat and vegetables to a large serving bowl; cover and keep warm.
- Pour cooking juices into a small saucepan. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; gradually whisk into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; whisk in sour cream. Stir into meat mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forHungarian Stew
"Takes a while to prepare but it is well worth it. Absolutely awesome"
"I use boneless beef ribs for better flavor."
"Perfect for a nice cold rainy nights dinner. It smells amazing, and is oh so yummy!"
"VERY GOOD FLAVOR AND SO easy. I MAKE BIG BATCHES FOR CHURCH."
"Low fat also means low taste. We watch our fat intake, but a comfort food dish needs real flavor. Keep these coming,good work."
"To lower fat, use very lean beef and fry in pan sprayed with cooking spray instead of oil; substitute low fat or fat free sour cream for the regular sour cream."
"Could you please give us some low fat recipes . Thanks, JBunton"