Hungarian Short Ribs
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-1/4 hours
- 2 to 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Cooked wide egg noodles
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown ribs on all sides. Add onions; cook until tender. Combine all remaining ingredients except noodles; pour over ribs. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until the meat is tender. Thicken gravy if desired. Serve over noodles. Freeze option: Freeze cooled rib mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary. Serve with noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 261 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 735mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Sep 16, 2017
Good recipe. Will make these again.
Mar 17, 2017
My husband loved this dish so much I'm surprised he didn't lick his plate! This will definitely be in my rotation of dishes to make for dinner. I did a few tweaks but didn't change the basic recipe. I used beef broth instead of water, sweet smoked paprika, apple cider vinegar, half of a large onion, 1/2 tsp. of salt, and ground mustard with horseradish. I browned the short ribs in my Dutch oven, added the onions, poured the sauce over the meat, and baked it in the oven at 300 degrees for 2-1/2 hours. The meat was so tender it was almost falling off the bone. I removed the meat from the sauce, skimmed off as much of the fat as possible, and then added about a cup of sour cream. I served it over rice with a side of steamed asparagus. Yum!!
Mar 30, 2015
This was so, so good. My husband loved it, as did I. Definitely will make again.
Mar 3, 2015
Jul 14, 2014
I tried this recipe and everyone loved it. the only thing I did different was to add some sour cream to the juice after I took out the meat. great!!!
Mar 30, 2014
My family really liked this short ribs recipe! I served it with noodles, peas, and made homemade bread with it. Thanks!
Jan 16, 2011
Made this for my family and they really liked it. My daughter who usually takes forever to eat, gobbled the ribs up right away. Would definitely make this again - it was really easy too!
Jan 24, 2010
this recipe was so easy i was surprised on the flavor. the meat was extremely tender didnt put it on the noodles because it does have high fat on the surface, light rice on the side with steamed vegetable was perfect.
Jun 13, 2009
RE: Hungarian Short RibsI used this recipe with beef back ribs, skimmed most of the fat off that I could. The ribs were moist, tender and absolutely delicious. I am making this recipe again tonight with pork country ribs. My husband and I enjoyed these will enjoy this recipe for a long time
Oct 13, 2008
I loved this. It was easy to make. I did skim off a lot of fat before serving. It might be one of those recipes you would make the day before and refrigerate and take off the fat and reheat. But is was excellent. I will make this again!Shari Marquardt
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.