Hungarian Goulash Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Pepper to taste
- Dash sugar
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup sour cream, optional
- In a large kettle, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Add beef cubes and brown on all sides. Add green pepper and onions; cook until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, paprika, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Cover and simmer for about 1-1/2 hours or until beef is tender. About 1/2 hour before serving, add the potatoes and reserved bacon; cook until potatoes are tender. Garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 283 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 920mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Jul 9, 2017
This soup is so satisfying on a cold winter day!!
Oct 29, 2015
Delicious and simple to prepare!1Sandy
Oct 25, 2010
This soup was absolutely delicious! My husband couldn't get enough of it. The aroma itself was mouth-watering. I added carrots as well. Yummy!
Jan 6, 2010
I made this last week and it was delicious, the only thing I added was a few carrots, it disappeared in a hurry. This soup freezes well too.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.