Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 7 hours
Makes6 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Place potatoes and onions in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Place over potato mixture.
- Pour off excess fat from skillet. Add water to the drippings, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan; heat through. Stir in the paprika, salt, caraway seeds, tomato paste and garlic. Pour into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Add green peppers and tomatoes; cover and cook 1 hour longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. With a slotted spoon, transfer meat and vegetables to a large serving bowl; cover and keep warm.
- Pour cooking juices into a small saucepan. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; gradually whisk into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; whisk in sour cream. Stir into meat mixture.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 358 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 446mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 8, 2014
Takes a while to prepare but it is well worth it. Absolutely awesome
Oct 13, 2013
I use boneless beef ribs for better flavor.
Oct 30, 2011
Perfect for a nice cold rainy nights dinner. It smells amazing, and is oh so yummy!
Oct 6, 2010
VERY GOOD FLAVOR AND SO EASY. I MAKE BIG BATCHES FOR CHURCH.
Jul 29, 2009
Low fat also means low taste. We watch our fat intake, but a comfort food dish needs real flavor. Keep these coming,good work.
Jul 27, 2009
To lower fat, use very lean beef and fry in pan sprayed with cooking spray instead of oil; substitute low fat or fat free sour cream for the regular sour cream.
Jul 27, 2009
Could you please give us some low fat recipes . Thanks, JBunton