Hungarian Pepper Soup with Romano Crisps
This is my delicious version of a classic comfort food from my childhood: stuffed peppers. The cream cheese gives it a velvety smoothness.—
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup shredded Romano cheese
- 2 to 3 Hungarian wax or banana peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 dozen Apple Spice Meatballs
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- On a baking sheet, sprinkle 1 tablespoon Romano cheese into a 3-in. circle, repeat 15 times. Bake at 300° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a Dutch oven, saute peppers in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add stock. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the meatballs, milk and cream cheese; heat through (do not boil). Serve with Romano crisps.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Stuffed Hungarian Pepper Soup with Tangy Romano Crisps in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012