Honey Pear Cheesecake
We grow pear trees, so I’m always dabbling in pear desserts. In this cheesecake, I add ¼ cup crystalized ginger for extra zing. —Nancy Zimmerman, Cape May Court House, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups crushed gingersnap cookies (about 30)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 to 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup honey, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 peeled and chopped medium pears (about 1-1/2 cups), divided
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 325°. Securely wrap a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square) around and under a greased 9-in. springform pan. Combine crushed gingersnaps and sugar; stir in 4 tablespoons butter, adding more as necessary. Press onto bottom and 1-1/2 in. up sides of prepared pan.
- Beat cream cheese until fluffy, gradually adding 2/3 cup honey, lemon juice and minced ginger. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until blended. Fold in 1 cup chopped pears and raisins. Pour into crust. Place springform pan in a larger baking pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan. Bake until center is just set and top appears dull, 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours. Remove from oven; remove springform from water bath.
- Cool cheesecake on a wire rack 10 minutes. Loosen sides from pan with a knife; remove foil. Cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight, covering when completely cooled. Remove rim from pan.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add remaining honey and pears; cook and stir until pears are tender. Stir in pecans. Top cake with pear-pecan mixture.
Test Kitchen Tips
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 552 calories, 36g fat (17g saturated fat), 142mg cholesterol, 374mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Ginger Pear Cheesecake in Taste of Home September/October 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.