This special champagne fondue has wonderful flavor from Swiss cheese and honey. It clings well to the fruit and bread dippers.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/4 cups Champagne
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- French bread cubes, tart apple slices or pear slices
- In a large saucepan, saute shallot in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Combine the Champagne, cornstarch, mustard and pepper until smooth; gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in honey; heat through. Remove from the heat. Combine cheese and lemon juice; gradually stir into champagne mixture until melted.
- Keep warm. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve with bread cubes, apple or pear slices. Yield: 3 cups.
Originally published as Honey Champagne Fondue in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2009, p9