- 10 cups torn romaine
- 2 medium red apples, cubed
- 2 medium pears, cubed
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped lightly salted cashews
- In a salad bowl, combine the first five ingredients.
- For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, oil, corn syrup, onion, mustard and salt. Pour over romaine mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cashews. Yield: 14 servings (1 cup each).
Reviews forHoliday Lettuce Salad
"I made this exactly as written. Everyone says it's a keeper. Thank you Bryan for the delicious recipe."
"This was an awful salad. No one liked it."
"I think this chicken added to this dish would make a great main dish. Can't wait to try this recipe."
"This salad sounded wonderful, but was disappointed when I tasted it. The dressing was less than desirable. I think with a different dressing it would be much better."
"This was a true hit at our family Christmas gathering.Good taste combinations with the apples and pears and nuts.We did not have cashews so used pecans instead."
"Answer for 'bleewkerr':I always prepare the dressing ahead of time, wash/cut up the lettuce, prepare the add-ins (except the fruit, it will go brown) and then right before serving mix it all together. Otherwise, the lettuce goes soggy. You can even prepare the dressing the night before and keep it in the fridge."
"Very yummy salad! The dressing was very light and the add-ins made it special. I only used 1 gala apple, cranberries and pine nuts cuz didn't have the other ingredients. I also used a bit of mayonnaise in the dressing to help the emulsion."
"I have a question. Do you add the dressing right before serving or as soon as you prepare the salad?Barbara"