Classic Wilted Lettuce Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 4 bacon strips, cut up
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 green onions with tops, sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 to 10 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 1 hard-boiled large egg, chopped
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- To the hot drippings, add the vinegar, water, onions, sugar, salt and pepper, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Place lettuce in a salad bowl; immediately pour dressing over and toss lightly. Top with egg. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 118 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 17, 2015
Grew up eating very similar but you forgot to throw in some slice and fried new potatoes.
Feb 12, 2015
Very easy & delicious recipe! I added an additional hard boiled egg as we like them.
Oct 13, 2014
And what are we supposed to do with the bacon? Logically, I can figure it out, but you didn't include it in your instructions.
Oct 2, 2014
Very good for a summer or hot day. Last a while ,for one person. My grandmother has made this for me when I was a kid.