Old-Fashioned Wilted Lettuce
"I remember my grandmother making this wonderful 'wilted' salad with leaf lettuce from her garden and serving it with a creamy dressing," recalls Rose Shawyer of Otterbein, Indiana.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup ceder vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 head medium head iceberg lettuce or 1 bunch leaf lettuce, torn
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, milk, vinegar, salt and pepper until smooth; set aside. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels to drain, reserving drippings.
- Whisk egg mixture into drippings. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the lettuce, onion and bacon. Pour dressing over salad; toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Originally published as Old-Fashioned Wilted Lettuce in Taste of Home June/July 1994
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.