Holiday Brunch Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients; stir in 1 cup cheese. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk, baking mix and salt until blended; pour over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 366 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 971mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Sep 5, 2019
This is a delicious and super easy breakfast casserole! I love that you can make in the evnening and then finish it off real quick in the morning. It is a nice mix of textures. I happened to have cheddar biscuit mix on hand which added an extra fun little flavor to the dish.
Dec 28, 2018
This is the best breakfast casserole I have ever made and eaten. I have made enough to know that I prefer red pepper to green and I cooked the hasbrowns beforehand, as one reviewer suggested. Awesome Awesome dish. The hubs and my dad loved it. It was perfect with my baking powder biscuits and Ambrosia salad. I cooked it for 50 minutes and it was perfect
Dec 26, 2018
Have been making this for several years now and the family loves it! Have tweaked it over time to suit our taste by swapping O’Brien potatoes for regular hash browns (we like a bit of peppers and onions), and adding 1/2 lb of cooked bacon, crumbled, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, and 1/2 tsp dry mustard. Always takes almost an hour to bake as mentioned by another reviewer. I also use gluten-free Bisquick for family members with celiac, and it’s still great!
May 6, 2018
Delicious. Will be making this for Christmas mornings. This was not done at 35 min.s. It was still very runny. It took about 50 min.s. Make sure to let stand before slicing. Used 1% milk and wouldn't recommend that. Will use the 2% or even whole next time.
Jan 5, 2018
We had this Christmas morning and it came out perfect. Easy to make the night before (which was key) and ready to bake in the morning. I'll make this again! Everyone like it.
Dec 12, 2017
Fabulous. We actually made this for dinner. We had just come back from a quick trip and needed something easy to make for dinner. I had all the ingredients on hand and it worked out wonderfully. The left overs were used for breakfast burritos the next morning.
Sep 24, 2017
Looks delicious! Great large group casserole.
Apr 8, 2017
This is an awesome, easy way to feed a crowd in a hurry. I've made it in the crockpot also
Nov 7, 2016
Very similar to Amish breakfast casserole but not as good.
Sep 6, 2016
Enjoyed this. Followed exactly. Next time I'll do a spicy sausage just to give it a bit more umphf; and I liked the suggestion of salsa on the side. The suggestion to ensure you dry the hash browns is correct. Like someone else said they might try to actually gook them first which might be good since they did sort of disappear (and I like hash browns). 5-10 mins longer cooking is a good idea. I'll do again.