Party Beef Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 3 cups mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper; add beef in batches; shake to coat. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat in oil until meat is no longer pink. Place beef and drippings in a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In the same skillet, add the water, broth, garlic, onion, thyme and rosemary; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes; stir in mushrooms. Pour over meat; stir to coat.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until beef is tender. Sprinkle peas over meat. Spread potatoes evenly over top. Brush with butter; sprinkle with paprika. Cover and bake 15-20 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 314 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 666mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 30g protein.
Jun 25, 2017
I'm a meat and potato kinda guy and this definitely fill the bill!!
Mar 1, 2017
I have been making this recipe for several years & I love it! Its flavorful, filling and a great comfort food!I use stew meat though.
Sep 2, 2014
Very good. I liked the steak instead of the traditional ground beef you would find in a shepard's pie.
Mar 21, 2012
Meat mixture was a little runny but I sprinkled flour on and mixed it in before I put the potatoes on top. Turned out great!
Mar 12, 2012
I have been making this recipe for over 10 yrs. Everytime I make it, it is a big hit & GONE!
Dec 21, 2011
Has anyone made this with leftover Thanksgiving mashed potatoes?
Jun 12, 2011
This needed salt and the bottom meat portion ended up a little runny. Love the mushroom and pea combination.
Feb 22, 2011
This recipe was excellent! It is now my favorite way to prepare round steak.
Oct 28, 2010
This is our family favorite. I sometimes use corn instead. I always make a double batch so we can have leftovers the next day. Easily reheated.
Oct 19, 2010
sometimes I use mixed vegies to make it more colorful!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.