Crescent Beef Casserole
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tube (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 large egg, beaten, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, onion and green pepper; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 4-5 minutes. Stir in beef, tomato puree, oregano, salt and pepper; heat through.
- Spread mashed potatoes in an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with beef mixture; sprinkle with feta cheese.
- Unroll crescent dough. Separate into four rectangles; arrange three rectangles over the casserole. If desired, brush with egg wash. Bake until top is browned, 12-15 minutes. Roll remaining dough into two crescent rolls; bake for another use.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 443 calories, 22g fat (7g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 981mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Aug 13, 2013
This is really good. I did not put in the green pepper or the tomato puree cause I did not have enough of it to put in. Nonetheless, it still turned out good. All the kids wanted more and ate the zucchini without even knowing it. I will make this again, except I am going to melt cheese on top of it.
Jul 23, 2013
Kid loved it. Surprise.
Feb 5, 2011
One of our favorite dinners!!!! My husband asks me to make this again and again. Tastes so good! I did buy an extra can of crescent rolls to make sure the top was covered.
Jan 19, 2009
wasn't sure about this recipe at first but it was much better than it looked. It was a big hit with everyone and I will definitly make it again.