Herbed Beef Vegetable Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium eggplant, cubed
- 2 medium zucchini, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon each oregano, savory and thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the eggplant, zucchini, onion, yellow pepper and garlic; cook until tender. Add tomatoes, rice, 1/2 cup of cheese, broth and seasonings; mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 257 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 434mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Feb 10, 2011
This was a labor intensive dish, in my opinion, but the results are good.I salted my eggplant and put it in a strainer for about 45 minutes to draw out some of the bitterness; then I rinsed it well and let it drain.I cooked the grd beef with the onion and the garlic. I also used 2 cups of cooked rice and no beef broth; it was soupy enough from the veggies. In addition I doubled the cheese.I knew that I would work with the recipe when I saw it, but I didn't do anything extraordinary.It is a good way to introduce vegetables to your family, which is why I made it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.