- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 pound red potatoes, cubed (about 2 cups)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Add potatoes, water, celery, bouillon and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, mix flour and 1/2 cup milk until smooth. Stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in remaining milk; heat through. Add cheese; cook and stir until melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forHearty Cheeseburger Chowder
"the cafeteria where I work had cheeseburger chowder for lunch and I liked it so much I decided to make it at home. I found this recipe and made it in my pressure cooker, added a little more cheese for a thicker consistency and it tasted like heaven. When I took it to work for my lunch, I had told one of my coworkers I had had it in the cafeteria and she said how much she liked it too. I asked her if she wanted to taste mine before I began to demolish it. She jumped at the chance and she too was like, oh my goodness, this is better than the cafeterias. She asked for the recipe and I was only to happy to share since we both knew that recipes from taste of home always are great. I will have to make this again whenever I have all my family here."
"I have a house full of 4 boys and a husband that love hearty meals after a busy, and sometimes crazy, day...especially a cold one! This has become my boys' favorite chowder! It is easy to make and I've even thrown it together for my friends when I host Bunco. The ladies loved it! Match this chowder with garlic butter biscuits and you will be amazed! I did eliminate some of the milk and added a little more hamburger to thicken it up. It was great!"
"Simply the best! Whenever I ask my family what they want me to make they always ask me to make this Cheeseburger Chowder. Before I tried this recipe, I had tried others, and none can even come close in flavor. Thanks so much for sharing this great recipe??"
"Very good. I made a couple of changes and it came out well. No. 1, I do not keep bullion granules in the house, I used 1 1/2 cups of beef broth (from a carton). I am allergic to celery and put in 1/4 cup of small slices of water chestnuts and that added a very nice crunch to it. I also need to be gluten free and used a GF rice blend flour. Everything worked find and tastes great! I'll be making it again. : )"
"My boys love this soup. Once in awhile I use pepper jack cheese in place of the cheddar."
"I used to make this all the time but misplaced the recipe. Glad to find it again. It is great just as written and give it 5 stars. My spin is to up the celery to a cup, added a half to a whole chopped green pepper and add a half cup of chopped carrots. It takes a little more time chopping, but worth it to include veggies. You can use whole or 2% milk. Since I am a cheese lover, I of course used more cheese. Be sure to give this constant attention once all of the milk and flour (or corn starch) is added. Stir almost continuously or it will burn on the bottom of the pan. It is good right after it is cooked, but even better the next day."
"I HAVE MADE THIS OVER AND OVER AND MY FAMILY LOVES IT. GREAT ON A FALL DAY!"