- 3 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (30 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 9-11 hours or until vegetables are tender. Serve with rice. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forHearty Black Bean Soup
"This soup had great flavor. We served it on rice night one. Couple nights later I cooked up some rigatoni and served it over that."
"Loved this! I used dried beans but didn't change anything else. The cumin gave it great authentic flavor! I will definitely save this recipe for future use!"
"So, how is it that black bean soup has no fiber?"
"My family loved this recipe. The only thing i changed was the garlic, i used two cloves instead of four. I served it with wild rice and it was very delicious!"