VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2-1/4 cups milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta)
- 2 cups hot cooked long grain rice
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package (9 ounces) tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add spaghetti sauce and taco seasoning; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for cheese sauce, melt butter in a large saucepan. Stir in flour, garlic powder and pepper. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add American cheese; cook and stir until melted. Remove from the heat.
- On eight plates, layer the rice, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, beans, cheddar cheese and tortilla chips. Top with meat mixture, sour cream and cheese sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Haystack Salad in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p47
Reviews forHaystack Salad
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 5, 2010
"Different! I used it as a dip! My family raved about it!"