Harissa Sweet Potato Fritters
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Cook: 5 min./batch
- 6 cups boiling water
- 3 cups shredded and peeled sweet potatoes, slightly packed (about 2 medium)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 to 3 teaspoons harissa
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco
- Sliced avocado, sliced tomato and minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Pour boiling water over sweet potatoes in a large bowl; let stand 20 minutes. Drain, squeezing to remove excess liquid. Pat dry.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, flour, baking powder, cornstarch, seasoned salt and harissa. Add the sweet potatoes and onion; toss to coat.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil over medium heat. Working in batches, drop sweet potato mixture by 1/4 cupfuls into oil; press slightly to flatten. Fry for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown, using remaining oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Serve with queso fresco, and optional ingredients as desired.
Nutrition Facts2 fritters: 217 calories, 13g fat (10g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 421mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 27, 2018
These were the star of our meal. The combination of sweet, spicy, and slightly salty flavors was delicious. I did add some chopped fresh parsley for a bit of color and herby taste. Definitely will make them again...maybe using my waffle iron next time!