Sweet Potato Turnovers
"My family refused to eat sweet potatoes as a side dish, so I decided to serve them in tempting turnovers," remarks Doreen Kelly of Roslyn, Pennsylvania.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger, allspice and cinnamon
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- Milk and additional sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine filling ingredients. Cook over medium-low heat for 12 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- For pastry, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide into 12 portions. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 6-in. circle. Spoon 1/4 to 1/3 cup filling on half of each circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Cut slits in top. Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 372 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Turnovers in Taste of Home October/November 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.