Sweet Potato Turnovers
"My family refused to eat sweet potatoes as a side dish, so I decided to serve them in tempting turnovers," remarks Doreen Kelly of Roslyn, Pennsylvania.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger, allspice and cinnamon
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- Milk and additional sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine filling ingredients. Cook over medium-low heat for 12 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- For pastry, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide into 12 portions. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 6-in. circle. Spoon 1/4 to 1/3 cup filling on half of each circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Cut slits in top. Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 372 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.