Ham & Veggie Casserole
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli florets
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cauliflower
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham (about 8 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. Cook broccoli and cauliflower according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt 2 teaspoons butter. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from heat.
- In a large saucepan, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheeses until blended. Stir in ham, pepper and vegetables.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with toasted crumbs. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 10-15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 420 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 1233mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 6g fiber), 28g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 6, 2018
Really liked this recipe. I used fresh veggies as I prefer fresh. Just steamed them in microwave first. I also had some cabbage so added that too. I added some fresh grounded nutmeg to the rue for some added flavor.
Jan 27, 2018
Delicious!!! I made this to use up some leftover spiral sliced ham that I had. The cheese sauce is really yummy as well. I added a few diced garlic cloves to the vegetables for a little added flavor. I also made some cheddar biscuits to go with it to round out the meal. This recipe is a keeper!
Dec 28, 2017
Great use of extra veggies and ham. Doubled up on vegetables; half a head of raw cauliflower, head of broccoli and 1c green beans. Roasted veggies withEVOO with SnP at 450F for 10 min and roasted the breadcrumbs on a different sheet at same time on parchment. While everything was roasting I made the b?chamel sauce, added the ham and then tossed veggies in sauce. Placed concoction in 9x13 dish and sprinkled with breadcrumbs. Cooked as directed. Eaten entirely as a ‘snack’ by two teenage boys for breakfast. Good basic recipe that can be adjusted to fit any meat/veggie combination. Going in the permanent file!
Dec 28, 2017
(I wanted five stars but site would not let me!) Fantastic - what a great way to use left over ham. The only thing different I did was to add some garlic powder. Will definitely make again.
Jan 18, 2017
My veggie-loathing husband went back for seconds! We decided it would also be good with chicken or leftover turkey!
Dec 30, 2016
Good. Used frozen Normandy Blend veggies and added 1/4 tsp garlic powder as well as Italian seasoning.
Nov 15, 2016
I really liked this. The only change I made was adding some rice.Very filling and easy to make.
May 17, 2016
Tasted good & cheesy! I used a package of broccoli & a package of mixed veggies. I just wanted more variety in the vegetables. I didn't toast the bread crumbs since I used seasoned panko bread crumbs sprinkled on top.
Apr 20, 2016
My family really liked this hearty casserole. I used the frozen California blend veggies instead of just broccoli and cauliflower and the carrots in that blend were a good addition, I thought. We really enjoyed the dish and it was a great way to use up some leftover Easter ham.
Mar 29, 2016
I am in agreement that it needs more seasoning perhaps garlic.