Ham and Spinach Crepes
Corn bread crepes hold a creamy, ham-and-cheese filling in this special brunch item. I appreciate that they're made the night before. In the morning, I just pop them in the oven and start brewing the coffee!—Diane Nemitz, Ludington, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound finely chopped fully cooked ham
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, whisk the milk, water, eggs and oil. Combine flour and corn bread mix; add to egg mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- For filling, in a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Add the ham, spinach, cream cheese, mustard, nutmeg and pepper. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat; keep warm.
- Heat a lightly greased 8-in. nonstick skillet over medium heat; pour 3 tablespoons batter into center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to evenly coat bottom. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, greasing skillet as needed.
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons of filling down the center of 22 crepes (save remaining crepes for another use). Roll up and place seam side down in two 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Combine topping ingredients. Remove foil; sprinkle topping over crepes. Bake 5 minutes longer or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 501 calories, 26g fat (12g saturated fat), 143mg cholesterol, 1120mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Ham and Spinach Crepes in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.