Ham-Spinach Crepe Cups
Using ingredients you likely already have on hand, these savory crepes will add fun to your celebration for mere pennies. Plus, by changing the filling to something sweet, such as berries and whipped cream you can create a great dessert. —Kathi Grenier, Auburn, Maine
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 2/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 drops hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- In a bowl, combine milk, egg and oil; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to milk mixture and mix until smooth. Heat a lightly greased 8-in. skillet; add 1/4 cup batter. Lift and turn pan to evenly coat the bottom. Cook until lightly browned; turn and brown the other side. Place each crepe in a greased muffin cup or custard cup, arranging the top edge in flutes. Place a small ball of foil in the center of each cup to hold the shape. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Remove foil.
- Meanwhile, for filling, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg and hot pepper sauce; stir until smooth. Stir in ham and spinach; heat through. Spoon into the hot crepe cups and serve immediately.
Editor's Note: Crepes can be made ahead. Stack cooled unfilled crepes with plastic wrap between. Cover tightly or seal in a plastic bag and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Then shape and bake as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 262 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 963mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Ham-Spinach Crepe Cups in Crafting Traditions March/April 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.