Gruyere and Crab Palmiers
I keep these little bursts of flavor in my freezer so they can be pulled out and popped into the oven whenever needed. Crab, pancetta and Gruyere make a sophisticated, elegant appetizer, and you can make your own variations on the filling. Try chicken and pesto, or a Mediterranean version with spinach and feta. —Grace Voltolina, Westport, Connecticut
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) lump crabmeat, drained
- 4 ounces sliced pancetta, chopped
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients; fold in crab. In a small skillet, cook pancetta over medium heat until partially cooked but not crisp; drain on paper towels.
- Unfold 1 sheet puff pastry. Spread half of the crab mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with half the cheese and half the pancetta.
- Roll up the left and right sides toward the center, jelly-roll style, until rolls meet in the middle. Repeat with remaining pastry and ingredients. Refrigerate until firm enough to slice, about 30 minutes.
- Cut each roll crosswise into 1/2-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until golden and crisp, 15-20 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked sliced palmiers on waxed paper-lined baking sheets until firm. Transfer to freezer containers; close tightly and return to freezer. To use, bake palmiers as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 palmier: 93 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Crab Palmiers w/Gruyere & Pancetta in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2019