Crab Au Gratin Spread
For a warm and winning appetizer, Suzanne Zick of Maiden, North Carolina serves this special cracker spread. It's rich tasting and easy to whip up with convenient canned crab.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
Makesabout 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed or 2/3 cup chopped imitation crabmeat
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained and chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced chives
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs
- Assorted crackers
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour, salt and paprika until smooth. Gradually add the cream, milk and wine. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the crab, mushrooms and chives; heat through. Stir in cheese just until melted.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 1-qt. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over crab mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with crackers.