Seafood en Croute
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 4 salmon fillets (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 pound fresh sea or bay scallops, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg white
- 1 large egg, beaten
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each pastry sheet into a 12x10-in. rectangle. Cut each sheet into four 6x5-in. rectangles. Place a salmon fillet in the center of four rectangles.
- In a small bowl, combine the scallops, cream, onions, parsley, dill, salt and pepper. In another bowl, beat egg white on medium speed until soft peaks form; fold into scallop mixture. Spoon about 1/2 cup over each salmon fillet.
- Top each with a pastry rectangle and crimp to seal. With a small sharp knife, cut several slits in the top. Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan; brush with egg. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 1053 calories, 60g fat (16g saturated fat), 199mg cholesterol, 782mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 9g fiber), 55g protein.
Feb 14, 2011
So I always hate it when people review a recipe and have changed it so much that it's hardly recognizable! But I must confess I changed it. Here's the deal: I didn't have puff pastry, but I had filo dough thawed in the refrigerator since mid-January, and I really needed to use it up. So instead of the puff pastry, I used the filo. Just plopped the salmon in the middle with the scallop mixture on top and folded over the layers. Butter in between each layer. So to make up for the extra butter I was using, instead of whipping cream I used nonfat Fage yogurt. If you haven't used it, it just isn't any regular yogurt. It's extra thick, almost spreadable. Anyway, both substitutions were great. This is not only delicious, it's a smashing presentation, and it looks like you slaved for hours...Made it for Valentine's Day dinner and hubby says it's a keeper for sure. Next time I'll try the puff pastry. : )
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.