- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 can (14 ounces) bean sprouts, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 jar (2 ounces) pimientos, drained and diced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the broth, celery, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, mushrooms, pimientos, soy sauce and ginger. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews forGround Beef Chow Mein
"This is excellent for a working woman to put together after work. I used fresh ginger and fresh mushrooms because I had them on hand. I also added bamboo shoots and sprinkled with chow mein noodles because I like them."
"It was pretty bland. We ate it the first night but the leftovers went to waste."
"easy yes but pretty bland. There are leftovers and will try to add some more spices and veggies to it."
"It is a tasty, simple recipe to throw together for dinner. The family enjoyed it."
"Next time might add a bit more soy sauce and maybe some red pepper flakes to give it some more spice."