Beef & Spinach Lo Mein
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound beef top round steak, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, mix the first six ingredients. Remove 1/4 cup mixture to a large bowl; add beef and toss to coat. Marinate at room temperature 10 minutes.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil. Add half of the beef mixture; stir-fry 1-2 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from pan. Repeat with an additional 1-1/2 teaspoons oil and remaining beef mixture.
- Stir-fry water chestnuts and green onions in remaining canola oil 30 seconds. Stir in spinach and remaining hoisin mixture; cook until spinach is wilted. Return beef to pan; heat through.
- Drain spaghetti; add to beef mixture and toss to combine. Sprinkle with chili pepper.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 363 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 652mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 12, 2019
This was great. It was much more calmer than I expected, and that what made me love it.
Dec 27, 2017
Delishious and will be making this again.
Dec 15, 2017
Do you throw out the marinade?
Oct 22, 2017
About to make this & wondered if "toolbarsco", 4-28-14 , who googled "Hoisin sauce" & has a great recipe, which she made herself, would be willing to share it with all of us, in a form of a review on this recipe? Hope so, will wait & see & hope she will! Thanks loads!
Jan 29, 2017
This meal was great and out of this world. I will be using this recipe again and on a regular basis. Thank you so much A
Oct 27, 2016
Lovely flavour. Didn't use water chestnuts as don't like them. Next time would add some extra vegies. All in all a wonderful dish. Really enjoyed this and gave it a 9/10. Thanks for the recipe.
Oct 14, 2016
This entree is amazing! Very simple and once you purchase the sesame oil and hoisen sauce its basic kitchen pantry staples. It only takes about 20 minutes to throw together, especially when cooking the noodles via microwave. Very impressed. Very flavorful. I make it about every 2 weeks! Everyone loves it in our house. I'm going to try it with chicken next.
Aug 27, 2016
Amazing flavors will definitely add to my rotation
Aug 27, 2016
Aug 16, 2016
Love, love, love this recipe. Tried it tonight and the whole family loved it...as is!