- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes or until barley is tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews forGround Beef and Barley Soup
"Excellent--hearty comfort food. I substituted 3 can tomato sauce for the diced tomatoes. I wish summer wasn't coming or I'd make it again soon. A keeper to be made in cooler months."
"My family loved it. prepared it exactly is a recipe directs. My wife is not crazy about soup but she absolutely loves this one. It has so much flavor."
"It was delicious!"
"Very good! My husband and 1-year-old daughter love it!"
"Yummy and easy to make. My whole family loved it!"