Grilled Southwestern Potato Salad
This salad is great with a grilled steak for a Tex-Mex meal, and most of it can even be prepared out in the backyard. Poblanos and cayenne make it pop. —Johnna Johnson, Scottsdale, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Grill: 20 min. + standing
- 1-1/2 pounds large red potatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2 medium ears sweet corn, husks removed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Lime wedges
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 5 minutes. Drain potatoes and toss with oil.
- Grill poblanos, covered, over high heat 8-10 minutes or until skins are blistered and blackened on all sides, turning occasionally. Immediately place peppers in a small bowl; let stand, covered, 20 minutes. Reduce grill temperature to medium heat.
- Grill corn and potatoes, covered, over medium heat 12-15 minutes or until tender and lightly browned, turning occasionally. Cool slightly.
- Peel off and discard charred skin from poblanos; remove stems and seeds. Cut peppers into 1/2-in. pieces and place in a large bowl. Cut corn from cobs and cut potatoes into 3/4-in. pieces; add to peppers.
- In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk, sour cream and lime juice until blended; stir in jalapeno, cilantro and seasonings. Add to potato mixture, stirring in as much dressing as desired to coat. Serve with lime wedges. Refrigerate leftovers.