Grilled Campfire Trout Dinner
Your fresh catch will taste even better with this simple treatment that keeps the fish moist. Carrots are an excellent accompaniment; cook up in a separate foil packet. —Wendy McGowan, Fontana, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Grill: 20 min.
- 4 bacon strips
- 2 dressed trout (1 pound each)
- 4 lemon slices
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Lemon wedges
- Cook bacon until partially cooked but not crisp; drain. Place each trout on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 20x18 in.). Place lemon and onion in the trout cavities; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap trout with bacon. Fold foil around trout and seal tightly.
- Place carrots on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 20x18 in.); sprinkle with salt and pepper. Dot with butter. Fold foil around carrots and seal tightly.
- Grill carrots, covered, over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add trout packets to grill; cook 20-25 minutes longer or until fish flakes easily with a fork and carrots are tender. Serve with lemon wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 362 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 530mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 44g protein.
Originally published as Campfire Trout Dinner in Taste of Home June/July 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.