Pan-Fried Breaded Trout
ONE SUMMER when my husband and I were enjoying our first "getaway" in years, we found ourselves stranded in our cabin cruiser with a dead battery. When hunger set in, my husband rigged up a fishing line, and soon there were two trout sizzling on the portable grill. We eventually made it home all right...and kept the recipe we'd devised. -Felicia Cummings, Raymond, Maine
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 lake trout fillets (about 8 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup bacon-flavored crackers, crushed
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Pinch pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Lemon wedges and/or minced chives or parsley, optional
- Rinse fish in cold water; pat dry. In a shallow bowl, combine the cheese, cracker crumbs, cornmeal, garlic salt and pepper. In another bowl, beat eggs and milk. Dip fish in the egg mixture, then gently roll in the crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, fry fish in oil for 3-4 minutes on each side or until it flakes easily with a fork. Garnish with lemon, chives and/or parsley if desired.