Greek Breakfast Casserole
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 cup water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 6 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook sausage, green pepper and shallot over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles, 8-10 minutes; drain. Transfer mixture to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with artichokes, broccoli and sun-dried tomatoes.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites, milk and seasonings until blended; pour over top. Sprinkle with feta.
- Bake, uncovered, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Freeze option: Cool baked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 325°. Bake casserole as directed until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 179 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 229mg cholesterol, 435mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 12, 2019
I cook breakfast for a group of men every Saturday and am always looking for something different. Made 2 pans of this and they wished there was more - easy to do and simply delicious
Jul 6, 2019
It would be helpful if you had a follow-up recipe for the 6 egg yolks not being used.
Jul 6, 2019
Didn't understand "broccoli in a "Greek Casserole". Added Kalamata olives (1/2 cup) and chopped eggplant (1/2 cup) instead of broccoli, and found some "Greek salad dressing". Too much eggplant added too much water to recipe. Tasted good. Might add some drained chopped spinach next time....
Mar 17, 2016
It sounds very good, but except for the Feta cheese,it sounds more Italian.
Jul 12, 2015
Surprisingly good. Couldn't find sun dried tomatoes in water, so I used sun dried tomato pesto and it was fab. Didn't have broccoli, so I added more colored peppers, yellow and orange. Used left over brats, so any spicy meat could sub in here. You really do add 6 egg whites after the first whole 6 eggs. Liked the smaller size of 8x8 so there's not too many leftovers. I will definitely make this one again.