Greek Breakfast Casserole
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 cup water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), chopped
- 6 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 6 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook sausage, green pepper and shallot over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain. Transfer mixture to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with artichokes, broccoli and sun-dried tomatoes.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites, milk and seasonings until blended; pour over top. Sprinkle with feta.
- Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Freeze option: Cool baked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 325°. Bake casserole, as directed until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 179 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 229mg cholesterol, 435mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable.
Mar 17, 2016
It sounds very good, but except for the Feta cheese,it sounds more Italian.
Jul 12, 2015
Surprisingly good. Couldn't find sun dried tomatoes in water, so I used sun dried tomato pesto and it was fab. Didn't have broccoli, so I added more colored peppers, yellow and orange. Used left over brats, so any spicy meat could sub in here. You really do add 6 egg whites after the first whole 6 eggs. Liked the smaller size of 8x8 so there's not too many leftovers. I will definitely make this one again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.