Ginger Veggie Brown Rice Pasta
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice elbow pasta
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup chopped red cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ancho chili pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 shredded rotisserie chicken, skin removed
- 2 green onions, chopped
- In a Dutch oven, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add red onion, ginger paste and garlic paste; saute 2 minutes. Stir in next seven ingredients; cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, 4-6 minutes. Add chicken; heat through.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta water. Return pasta to Dutch oven. Add vegetable mixture; toss to coat, adding enough reserved pasta water to moisten pasta. Sprinkle with green onions before serving.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 270 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 257mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 1, 2018
This looks amazing, can it be served cold as well?
Nov 14, 2017
I was going to make egg rolls and stir fry noodles so this recipe came right on time to my inbox today. I didn't have brussel sprouts on hand to compensated with cabbage. I used rice noodles instead of the other. I used soy sauce instead of salt, shrimp instead of chicken, added sugar to balance the soy sauce and added a tablespoon of sesame oil for wonderful flavor. I know that was a lot of substitutions but very similar to the recipe essentially. The salt and pepper wasn't enough seasoning for my taste but for a healthier, lower calorie version, it would hit the mark. Quick prep and lots of fresh veggies, this is a restaurant quality meal. I look forward to leftovers for tomorrow's lunch.
Feb 7, 2017
Love all the good-for-you veggies in this recipe. My gang does not care for ginger so left that out. I didn't have coconut oil so used olive oil. Added some fresh chopped tomatoes and tossed with bacon-infused olive oil. It was a big hit!!
Feb 3, 2017
This was very good. My son who does not like brussels sprouts, took seconds. I cut the recipe in half as there are only 3 of us. Very colorful and absolutely delicious.