When it's apple picking time, it also time for all the delightful treats you can make with them, including applesauce. This is my favorite way to prepare it. It's simple to do and makes the whole house smell like fall.—Renee Pajestka, Brunswick, Ohio
Recommended: 52 Sweet and Savory Apple Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 pounds apples (about 12 medium), peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place all ingredients in a 4-qt. slow cooker; stir until combined.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until apples are tender. Mash if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: about 5 cups.
Originally published as Ginger Applesauce in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2011, p43