Ginger Mint Julep
Mint juleps aren't just for Kentucky Derby day! Enjoy one while gathering with friends for baby shower or luncheon. —Ellen Riley, Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups loosely packed chopped fresh spearmint
- EACH SERVING:
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup crushed ice
- 1 ounce bourbon
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 ounces ginger beer
- For mint syrup, place sugar, water and chopped mint in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Strain syrup through a fine-mesh strainer; discard mint. Refrigerate, covered, until cold, at least 2 hours.
- For each serving, place ice in a mint julep cup or rocks glass. Add bourbon, lime juice and 1/4 cup mint syrup; stir until mixture is cold. Top with beer.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 238 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 4mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Derby Day Mint Julep in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.